Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, June 3, 2013

In Search of Our Acreage Dream Home

My Acreage Dream Home
Well, our current home has been on the market for just over a week now.  We've had 7 showings so far without so much as a nibble.  But, with so many other houses for sale in our area, I'm not the least bit surprised.

In between the never-ending cleaning and tidying, I've started searching the property listings for our next home.

We're looking for a small, private acreage (around 5 acres), close to where my husband works.  

As soon as I saw this property, I fell in love!  It's a little bit over our price range, but, just look at this place!




















We could just move in and enjoy!

But, hubby thinks it makes more sense to buy a beautiful piece of land and start from scratch.  We'd be able to create our very own version of a dream acreage, all brand new and for a lot less money.


But, it would also be a lot of work.  We'd have to choose and clear the building site, create an access road and driveway, drill a well, install a septic system, build the house, add landscaping and fencing, and the list goes on...


At this point, it's anybody's guess what we'll end up doing.  Which option would you choose?

~ Wendi ~ xo

23 Reader Comment(s):

Brenda Murphy said...

Sending you good vibes for an easy sell! I have bought homes (renovated)and built from scratch, in the end they have both been rewarding, it depends on how much time you have. Good luck:)

Susan said...

I guess that you have to ask yourself: "What do we have the time and patience to accomplish?"

Jennifer@ClassicStyleHome said...

We have been debating the same thing ourselves. We found a beautiful house on acreage, but it would still need tweaking. I think custom building is the way to go, which is why I'm not moving, lol. I just don't have the energy!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

That house is gorgeous! It's a tough call as to which way to go…depends on how quickly you want to be in that dream house. Good luck, whichever you choose?!

Designs By Pinky said...

That house is gorgeous! However I would want to build but I would NOT want another well and septic system. had that for 29 years and am SO HAPPY to be back to public water!!!!!!!!!!!! We have had one LOOOOOW offer. Too many houses for sale I guess. XO, pinky

Liz@ Infuse With Liz said...

Well that is a lovely home! I like all the details, inside and out. I love that kitchen!
We've built two homes in the past, when I was a wee bit younger. Today I'd only be able to do it if I could have most of the work done. Having the home built isn't too hard, especially since someone else would build it- a septic and well is part of building the home with the contractor so that shouldn't be a big deal. The hard part is the landscaping, putting in the access road etc. I absolutely loved building our other homes, I wish I was as well informed as I am now because I would have made better choices! If you sold your home and had to wait for a new home to be built then you'd have to rent for a while? Seems like it boils down to- do you have the time and energy to build new or is move in ready more logical? Lots of decisions!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Wendi...how exciting..I have always wanted to build my own home...hang in there...it will sell!

Anonymous said...

I'd go for the ready to move in option myself. If you love everything about the acreage for sale, why go through the trouble of recreating it? Hope you'll be happy with whatever you decide!
Karen xo

Designed by Nature said...

What a beautiful acreage, Wendi!! I can see why you love it. It would also be wonderful to build your home, too. That's a tough decision. Good luck!!
-Bunny xox

Stacy Curran said...

Oh Wendy that's a tough one! Although it can be so much fun to build a house, obviously it is a ton of work. And this one is gorgeous! I hope you get which ever one your heart desires. And I'm hoping that your house sells fast!
Stacy

Designs By Pinky said...

I wish so much we could dig the Japanese maples up. They are each over $1000.00 and we have 4 of them! I think weshoud try at least oe of them. I'll keep you posted. Now we need some LOOKERS (and buyers). This is getting frustrating, to say the least. Best of luck to YOU! XO, pinky

Ali of Dressing Ken said...

Oh my but that is grand! Love the back yard patio.

Ali of

Dressing Ken

Nancy said...

That is a tough one. Youre young, you probably have the patience for it. We have 6 acres and I adore the space and gardening and having all my animals here. Good luck with your sale.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Sophia Home said...

Hello Wendy,

Having designed and built our dream home six years ago.....I can not recommend this route enough! Yes, a lot of work - but so rewarding and it is the one way that you can get exactly what you want. We have found it to be an exciting, wonderful journey! Having said that....this house looks great too!

Go with your gut feeling......my advice is don't compromise!

Good luck......

Sophia x



Jennifer Frost @ Split-Site PhD said...

That house looks heavenly. That kitchen is to die for! I really love those chairs that look like they have writing on them. They are so unique. A red and black bathroom is an idea that I love. I hope you guys can get this house and make it your own.

http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

toko baju muslim murah said...

interesting to read thank you I really liked your article I love your beautiful blog and so enjoy your posts.good job

Ivy Clad said...

I hope the process is moving along well for you! My husband & I are just redoing the backyard this summer, & we've just about convinced ourselves that building a home together could spell stressful disaster (this we tell each other with a great big chuckle).

The home in your photos is so lovely. Great taste!
xo,
Keri

John Decker said...

I love the interior design of these rooms. They have such a nice traditional look to them. I have the same sort of style and I try to implement it in every part of my house. I just had a Spiral Staircase built and I am looking for ideas to have the railings look traditional. I might try painting the spokes white with a brown hard wood floor base.

Renée Finberg said...

not to worry,
the market has really picked up.
your home will be sold for sure
with all your interior and exterior additions.

:)

Draudimas said...

This house looks aristocratic. I love the interior.

Tatiana Doria said...

Your home looks beautiful!! You´ll have no problem to sell fast...
This house you´re showing is gorgeous, I´m sure it´ll look even better after you get hands on it.
Good luck!

Alexandra said...

This home is gorgeous, but I think a lot of what I am attracted to is the stunning interior design! With different decor I feel like some of the rooms may look a little... cookie cutter. I think I'm with hubby! I feel like you could create something really amazing with a gorgeous piece of land if you're both up for the challenge. I mean, hey, you only live once!

-- Alex at Cashmere Kangaroo

-- Alex at Cashmere Kangaroo

daw said...

Thanks..

Post a Comment